Friday, April 29, 2011

Social Networking for Researchers!

About a week ago, I came across this wonderful new social networking site - for researchers. It's called Academia.edu, and I've been super excited about it.

It provides profiles in a similar way that Facebook does, except it focuses on your research and the research you are interested in. You can post your current position, university affiliation (if any), and other basic details as well as post your talks, books, papers, teaching documents, blog posts, CV, and websites. You also add your research interests, which, if they match what others put down, you are then linked to them as interested in the same thing. When people try to find you via a search engine, it saves the keywords the people use to get to your academia.edu page.

In addition to being linked via research interests, it also lists everyone in your department. That includes professors, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students. You can also follow people whose interests or research you like (or for any other reason, really), which shows up in your "feed" on your homepage. You can see when they make changes, such as who they are now following, when they add new talks, books, papers, etc., and other such details.

The only downside seems to be that researchers don't seem to update their academia accounts as often as most people update their Facebook accounts and Twitter accounts.

Being as excited as I am about this site, I created my own profile, which you can view here. Other than my abstract, which I also posted here, there is an updated version of my CV and you can see who I'm following and generally stalk me and my research. No one is following me yet, but one can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I encourage your own critiques, ideas, and suggestions. That's what makes blogs fun.